Thursday, August 8, 2013

My House Was Built of Sandstone

“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” (Matthew 7:24-27ESV)

I always thought I was the wise man, or woman, shall we say, who built their house on the rock. From the time I was a child, I acquainted myself with the teachings of Jesus, came to faith in Him, and devoted my life to Him, for the most part. I never identified with the one who built his house on sand because I knew Jesus was in my heart.

Looking back, I see that I was actually somewhere in between. If my house were built of rock, it would have been sandstone. Here's why. It is composed of different kinds of minerals and particles of stone. Those particles of stone are Jesus. But, it is called "sandstone" because it one of the softer rocks that is more easily broken, as some of the minerals are so soft they may crumble. Disclaimer: I am not a geologist, so please forgive me if this analogy is inaccurate. It makes sense in my mind.

Here's the beauty of it all. My faith is being strengthened, and I see that God is graciously given me a strong, firm foundation. The means for which this is being accomplished is through suffering. I have recently been hit with trials that I thought would never come my way. I am 23 years old, I am a dreamer. I have huge desires for how God will use Michael and I for His coming kingdom. That being said, I am often tempted to believe that my trials are a stumbling block to my dreams. What I am beginning to experience is that they are actually the means to the dreams. What we desire requires faith, and God requires this for anyone who is called according to His purpose.

It is the grace of God that He would allow this. How else will Michael and I ever be prepared if He calls to take up our cross and follow Him to Africa or Asia? How can we set the captives free, if our faith is still so easily shaken? As John Piper puts it, "Strange as it may seem, one of the primary purposes of being shaken by suffering is to make our faith more unshakable." Is my faith unshakable? Not always. But, is it becoming unshakable? Absolutely. In that, I will rejoice, for my God is faithful! Until I embrace Christ alone, I will never see His strength made perfect in my weakness. But as I suffer while looking upwards and giving thanks to God, His glory will begin to radiate from my innermost being.

Brothers and sisters, it is a privilege to suffer, as it identifies us closer and closer with Christ Himself. It's okay to cry, to grieve, to mourn your trials. But, know that all the while it is God who weeps with you, holding your hand all the while. If you look to Him, your faith will surely become strong. After all, He is the author and perfecter of our faith. We all encounter trials of various kinds. Where will you build your house? All other ground but Christ is sinking sand.

"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.
On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand."

1 comment:

  1. Very nice Talia, nice to see you back on here.

    ReplyDelete