Monday, February 20, 2012

Imago Dei: All Humanity or only the Elect?

We were created in the image of God. Knowing this truth is so important that it's in the very first chapter that was ever written of the Bible! Genesis 1:27:

"Then God said, 'Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.' So God created mankind in his own image,in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

This sets us apart from any other part of creation. When He created the animals, he created them each according to their kind (Gen. 1:21). In what accordance were we created to? God Himself. His own likeness. Take note of how God said in 27, "Let US make mankind.." This was the first time in creation He used "us," rather than simply speaking it into motion. "Us" refers to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He created us in the image of the Trinity, the perfect community & unity of God Himself. Think on that for a minute, it's absolutely mind boggling.

The fall of humanity, the first sin in the Garden of Eden, distorted God's image in us. But did it destroy it? Remove it? Or is it possible that we all still maintain somewhere inside of us the image of God?

I recently heard a sermon by Dave Lomas of Reality SF (my church family in the Bay area) that has challenged me to view all people in light of this fact: All humanity is created in the image of God. When our hearts are awakened to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the New Testament says numerous times that we are reborn/recreated. (Here are just a few of those examples: 2. Cor. 5:17, 1 Thess. 4:13-18, John 3:3, Rom. 6:6). The language used here suggests that when I accept Christ, my old self is put to death, and my new self is brought to life. A resurrection of the image of God...in me. Not because I myself am capable of acting in a way that looks like God, but because of Christ's transformational work in me, the only possible outcome is that I might be a reflection of Him. When John Calvin spoke of humanity as being created in the image of God, he stated that "sin has made it frightfully deformed [the image], and it must be restored by God." Only God can do a saving work, such as this.

When I think upon my new life in Christ, I am well aware of the darkness that dwelt in me before knowing Him. Any of you who have ever had children or worked with children have seen that no one has to teach a two-year-old how to say, "Mine!" We're sinners. From the time we're young, we're bent towards selfishness, and trying to be our own little gods. But, this is NOT how we were created.

"Out of the mouth of babies and infants, you have established strength because of your foes, to still the enemy and the avenger." (Psalm 8:2)

"For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well." (Psalm 139:13-14)

I see this in my nephew, Milo. He hasn't read the Bible for himself yet. And he hasn't fully understood the Gospel, though I practice evangelism on him. Milo is, after all, four months old! And yet...despite the fact that he is a baby, I see the image of God in him. It's something that is beyond words. Even Milo, though a sinner, was so clearly created in the glorious image of God Himself! I cannot fathom otherwise how a baby could be so joyful when I play music for him, wake up giggling, have the capacity to brighten everyone's day, and begin to grow and function as a human being, though he started out as a teeny tiny little embryo. Watching a baby grow is incredible, and he has "image of God" written all over him.

I must confess that seeing the image of God in people is far easier for me to see in Christians than in those who don't know Him. Living in a culture that denies God's existence, sometimes it's hard to see God's image in them...and yet, it's there. I am profoundly humbled to think that I often view people as sinners before I view them as image bearers of God. I wonder how the world would look if all of us who believe started to look every person we encounter in the eyes with love, praying for them, and telling ourselves that they were created in the image of God. I imagine we'd be quicker to care for the orphans and widows, as well as that strange man or woman in our workplace who is so clearly broken that we sometimes try to avoid. As we look for God in others, both believers and unbelievers, I think we'll be amazed to see that it truly exists in everyone. But for those who don't believe, we must pray for a resurrection of that image, and an awakening of their hearts to Jesus Christ. For those who do believe, we must pray for a greater reflection of God's image in one another, as His love deepens in our hearts.

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death is at work in us, but life in you."
(2 Cor. 4:7-12)

God's surpassing glory, His very image is in us, though in some regards we still look the same as before. And we still wrestle with sin. Why? So that they might see His glory made manifest in our weaknesses. When they see something beautiful in us, they'll see Him. And eventually, they may start to see that they, too, were created for the glory of God.

1 comment:

  1. Well written post. It is difficult to always look on people and see that they are an image bearer of God. I'm still training my eyes to look on people and see God's work. But I find that when I do, I don't like what I see. I see the work of sinful decay and then I look at myself and see remnants of sin I still have yet to repent of. It compels me to "push" away the decay and turn to Jesus. Great reminder to start my day, I work on seeing people today as image bearers. I like 2 Corinthians 4 too. Good job. Great post. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete